Our next VHF Radio Operator course is running over the evenings of Monday 6 and Wednesday 8 June from 5:30pm – 8:30pm. VHF Radio Operator is a 6 hour, theory based course, providing the necessary knowledge require to operate a VHF Radio and obtain the ‘Marine VHF Operator Qualification’.
A new Coastguard Coastal Medic Course has been announced for the weekend of 20 and 21 August 2016. Coastal Medic is a prerequisite to the more advance Offshore Medic. As well as its marine applications, this course exceeds the Health and Safety requirements of “two day workplace first aid”, so has many commercial usages.
Coastguard Boating Education courses have now been approved by NZQA as access training towards obtaining the new commercial qualification of “Skipper Restricted Limits”. This will alleviate the need for students to attend a Polytechnic block course. This is a fantastic development for Coastguard and now means commercial recognition and applications for their courses.
Despite losing a few days to high winds and rain over the last week, another 40 children from Waterloo School undertook the schools safe boating programme on Tuesday. This delivery was thanks to the support provided by Pub Charity for Hutt Valley schools.
Well, the incredible run of fine weather we have had has finally taken a small pause, but there is no pause to action out on the water!!! . The summer of 2015 – 16 will go down as the best ever at Wellington Ocean Sports, with the largest number of participants getting involved that we have ever had. Demand is high, but there are still places available on our up and coming courses. Check it out!!!!
This week the timber floor at Wellington Oceans Sports is being repaired, sanded and polyurethaned thanks to funding from New Zealand Community Trust. This is a continuation of the building restoration work they have supported in order to ensure Wellington Ocean Sports is fit for purpose and a quality regional training base we can be proud of.
There are only a few days left to book on Wellington Ocean Sports first Boatmaster course of the year that commences on Monday 25 April and runs over Monday and Wednesday evenings. Boatmaster is a comprehensive theory only course covering all the esentials you need including - safety, equipment, weather, rules of the road and navigation.
It’s been a fantastic week on the school holiday programme with 12 kids enjoying perfect conditions out on the water!! The good news is the forecast looks just as good for next week and we still have 3 places available for booking. We are running five days next week from 1.00pm to 4.00pm including ANZAC Day.
Autumn is hitting us, the mornings are getting crisper and days are getting shorter. However we have been very lucky here in Wellington, with the great weather sticking around for the most part. We have had an incredible summer at Wellington Ocean Sports with lots of activity on the water, and over 1000 students participating in our Safe Boating Programme in the last year.
- Flare Evening Announced
- Advanced Sea Survival course available for booking
- First phase of the Porirua Schools Safe Boating Programme delivery complete
- Holiday Programme bookings being taken
- Open Day huge success
- First Boatmaster course of 2016 available for booking
- Christmas Update
- Gift Certificates available now
- Wellington Ocean Sports Centre restoration proceeding well
- Corporate sailing and end of year functions
- Safe Boating Week underway with a splash
- WOS October Update
- NZ Water Safety Sector Strategy launch huge success
- Tawa College NCEA course underway
- Wellington Ocean Sports Spring promotion underway
- School Holiday Programme - Get in quick!
- WOS Spring Update
- Advanced Sea Survival course huge success
- Coastal Medic Course this weekend
- New roof for Wellington Ocean Sports
- Wellington Ocean Sports School Holiday Programme Bookings Being Taken
- Wellington Community Trust delivery underway
- Last Boatmaster course for the year available for booking
- WOS Winter Update 2015
- Schools Programme funding received
- Wellington Ocean Sports Staff complete Workplace First Aid
- Crew Available!!
- Porirua College Students Learn the Ropes
- WOS Winter Racing
- Wellington Ocean Sports host SUP instructors course
- First Day Skipper course of the year commencing Tuesday evening
- Autumn Update
- Wellington Ocean Sports February Update
- 100 students from Porirua College undertake Safe Boating Programme
- Cruising Skipper 43 Great Success
- Schools Safe Boating Education Programme Underway
- School groups get best of the weather
- 10% Off learn to sail course commencing this Saturday
- Wellington Ocean Sports November Update
- Stunning weather for first week of holiday programme