On Tuesday 22 September Wellington Ocean Sports Manager Matt Wood attended the Water Safety New Zealand Annual General Meeting, Sector Forum and 2020 Strategy Launch. As a delegate member of Water Safety New Zealand Wellington Oceans Sports have been feeding into the strategy development process and are involved in the actual delivery of water safety programmes.
Did you know that unless it as an emergency, it is a legal requirement to have a Radio Operators Qualification before operating a marine VHF radio? If you need to get the qualification then we have the course for you! Our last VHF course for the year is running over the evenings of 30 November and 2 December and is now available for booking.
This week 14 students from Tawa College are completing their 28 hour NCEA learn to Sail course. The course is largely based on the standard Level 1 Yachting New Zealand learn to sail course, but with some components from the level two courses such as rowing and swimming 50 metres in full wet weather gear. Upon completion the students will receive 9 level 2 unit standards.
The long winter wait is over and Wellington Ocean Sports are now taking bookings for our spring courses. Now is the time of the year to undertake our Yachting New Zealand approved learn to sail course so you can make the most of follow on opportunities summer will bring. Wellington Ocean Sports pride itself on the number of follow on opportunities that we provide our learn to sail students.
Wellington Ocean Sports School Holiday Programme is only 3 weeks away, and is a great way for the kids to get outdoors on Wellington Harbour in a safe and fun environment with well qualified instructors. The programme is open to all children aged 10 years and up, and will see them experience a range of ocean sports over the five days, weather permitting.
Spring is just around the corner and places are filling fast on the courses we have running between now and Christmas. Although it’s been a fantastic winter at Wellington Ocean Sports with plenty of activity, we are looking forward to some settled warmer weather. I’m really pleased to announce that we have finally replaced our leaky roof!!! So no more bucket in the middle of the classroom on rainy days
On the 22nd and 23RD August Wellington Ocean sports ran an “Advanced Sea Survival training course”, which was well represented with course participants flying in from around the country. The group had an amazing variety of experience aboard sailing vessels, some of them I am sure they would not want to repeat! Kim Mc Morran? There is a Wardroom story there..........
The only Coastal Medic Course for the year will be running this weekend, 29 and 30 August 2015. Coastal Medic is a prerequisite to the more advance Offshore Medic. As well as its marine applications, this course exceeds the Health and Safety requirements of “two day workplace first aid”, so has many commercial usages.
On Monday 20 years of different branding was removed from the Wellington Ocean Sports building as work on our long anticipated new roof commenced. The completion of the roof will mark the start of an overall building refurbishment. The expansion of our courses, in particular the schools safe boating programme has tested the building over the last year and it needs to brought up to standard to support the delivery we wish achive moving forward.
Wellington Ocean Sports School Holiday Programme is a great way for the kids to get outdoors on Wellington Harbour in a safe and fun environment with well qualified instructors. The programme is open to all children aged 10 years and up, and will see them experience a range of ocean sports over the five days, weather permitting.
- Wellington Community Trust delivery underway
- Last Boatmaster course for the year available for booking
- WOS Winter Update 2015
- Schools Programme funding received
- Wellington Ocean Sports Staff complete Workplace First Aid
- Last winter VHF course available for booking
- Crew Available!!
- Porirua College Students Learn the Ropes
- WOS Winter Racing
- Wellington Ocean Sports host SUP instructors course
- First Day Skipper course of the year commencing Tuesday evening
- Autumn Update
- Wellington Ocean Sports February Update
- 100 students from Porirua College undertake Safe Boating Programme
- Cruising Skipper 43 Great Success
- Schools Safe Boating Education Programme Underway
- School groups get best of the weather
- 10% Off learn to sail course commencing this Saturday
- Wellington Ocean Sports November Update
- Stunning weather for first week of holiday programme
- Places available on cruising courses this weekend
- First week of holiday programme sold out
- Next learn to sail course commences Tuesday 21 October
- Wellington Ocean Sports Spring Update
- Holiday Programme Places Available
- Friday Night With PJ huge success
- Winter Series success for Wellington Ocean Sports crew
- Corporate Sailing and Team Building
- Wellington Ocean Sports Winter Update
- Holiday Programme available for booking
- MRX fleet leaving Wellington Ocean Sports
- Wellington Ocean Sports Centre feasibility study published
- Wellington Ocean Sports reaches 400 mark
- Coastguard Boating Education courses available for booking
- Great night for Wellington Ocean Sports Grads
- Recognition for Wellington Ocean Sports Programme
- WOS Winter Update
- Winter Racing
- Learn to sail course places available
- Sir Peter Blake Trust attend Wellington Ocean Sports Centre