Wellington Ocean Sports were invited by the Halberg adaptive water sports programme and their partners Flight Centre Foundation to run an adaptive water sports day, on Sunday 5th March involving SUP and Waka Ama.
Thinking of doing an offshore yacht race in the future??? Now is the time to square away an Advanced Sea Survival Course. Wellington Ocean Sports next course will be running over the weekend of Saturday 25 and Sunday 26 March 2017.
Kids galore are enjoying our School Holiday programme at the Ocean Sports Centre. The weather has been good enough, considering it is Spring for them to enjoy Kayaking, Sailing and Paddle boarding with most forecasts being variable 5. The rain has held off giving us some nice afternoons finished off with hot Milo and muffins. And they love it.
We are running another Racing Crew course and it is scheduled to commence on Saturday 1st October and run for four consecutive weekends as does our Cruising Crew course starting on the 9th October. There are still several places avalable for booking. It's not too late to enrol!
We are running our Coastguard Coastal Medic course on the weekend of the 29th and 30th October and I would like to encourage everyone to consider enrolling. This is a valuable skill that you never know when you might need, when racing or cruising. There are five booked and we would like five more participants so lets make it happen. Coastal Medic is a prerequisite to the more advance Offshore Medic. As well as its marine applications, this course exceeds the Health and Safety requirements of “two day workplace first aid”, so has many commercial usages.
Enjoying wellington weather in July are the Youth Scheme sailors here from our regional centres. We have students, 16 in total from New Plymouth, Napier, Gisborne and Otago, ranging in age from 14 to 16.The idea behind these four day courses is to give these young sailors a taste of the youth programme for when they may find themselves moving to Wellington, Auckland or Christchurch for university. So that they can continue with their sport.
Wellington Ocean Sports are sad to announce that Manager Matt Wood will be moving on. Matt has worked for the Royal Port Nicholson Yacht Club for 11 years, first as a casual sailing instructor in 2005 before taking on the role of “Sailing Academy Manager”, then in 2011 he successfully applied for the position of “Wellington Ocean Sports Project Manager” and lastly as “Wellington Ocean Sports Manager”.
July is upon us and we are having one of the busiest winters on record at Wellington Ocean Sports. Learn to sail 435 recently completed their course and course 436 commenced last Saturday. On top of that Racing Crew 48 is nearing the end of their course, having competed in two RPNYC Winter Series races along with a second WOS boat. Pictured above are the students who recently completed our learn to sail refresher session.
Wellington Ocean Sports next Cruising Crew course commences on 16 July and there are still several places available for booking. Cruising Crew follows on from the Learn to Sail Keelboats course and provides an opportunity to build on your knowledge and skills. It will also allow you to develop your seamanship skills, and introduces the wonderful world of cruising in a yacht.
- Wellington Ocean Sports named as community award finalist
- Schools Safe Boating Programme Continues
- Boatmaster available for booking
- Wellington Ocean Sports June Update
- Coastal Medic course running this August
- Winter Racing Crew course available for booking
- Coastguard Boating Education courses receive commercial recognition
- Schools Safe boating programme delivery continues
- WOS May Update
- Further improvements at Wellington Ocean Sports
- Perfect conditions for school holiday programme
- Autumn Update 2016
- Flare Evening Announced
- First phase of the Porirua Schools Safe Boating Programme delivery complete
- Holiday Programme bookings being taken
- Open Day huge success
- Christmas Update
- Gift Certificates available now
- Wellington Ocean Sports Centre restoration proceeding well
- Corporate sailing and end of year functions
- Safe Boating Week underway with a splash
- WOS October Update
- NZ Water Safety Sector Strategy launch huge success
- Tawa College NCEA course underway
- Wellington Ocean Sports Spring promotion underway
- School Holiday Programme - Get in quick!
- WOS Spring Update
- Advanced Sea Survival course huge success
- New roof for Wellington Ocean Sports
- Wellington Ocean Sports School Holiday Programme Bookings Being Taken
- Wellington Community Trust delivery underway
- WOS Winter Update 2015
- Schools Programme funding received
- Wellington Ocean Sports Staff complete Workplace First Aid
- Crew Available!!
- Porirua College Students Learn the Ropes
- WOS Winter Racing
- Wellington Ocean Sports host SUP instructors course
- First Day Skipper course of the year commencing Tuesday evening
- Autumn Update