Perfect Weather greeted the six teams on wednesday night all vying for a shot at victory in the 2014 March Wellington Spirit Sailing League. There was a Semi and a Final to complete on the inner harbour, the tricky ten knot southerly kept it interestsing with several lead changes.
In the final day of group sailing before the final it was all up for grabs to see who could gain the automatic entry to the final by winning group two. The Weather was playing ball as well with enough puff to make it exciting yet still safe.
A perfect Ten knots with gusts a little more is what was in store for the Day Three of the Sailing League. The points are becoming ever more important. as the teams vie for direct entry into the final of the League.
With the best conditions seen for the last two weeks in the Spirit League, and now that the dragon boats have finished their activities on the harbour, it was always going to be an exciting set of races right up against Queens Wharf on day three of the Spirit Business sailing league.
With a pretty ominous forecast and few cracks of thunder it was touch and go whether racing would go ahead for Group One of the Wellingon Spirit Sailing League. However the wind died down and the thunder ceased allowing the teams to hit the water. Unfortunately Bexhill were unable to attend which meant it was going to be a match race between Catalyst and CentrePort.
Not a Breath of wind is what greeted the Spirit League sailors on Week two. However after waiting for a bit a few zephyrs of wind fluttered their way down the eastern side of the harbour. This was just enough to get a single race away. It was decided turning corners would be too slow so the course was to be a single leg race to the lighthouse.
Ideal condtions greeted the group two teams as week one of 2014 Wellington Spirit Business Sailing League was completed. With racing in a dying southerly on the inner harbour the three teams quickly found their paces and settled into the league programme.
Blustery condtions greeted the teams as the 2014 Wellington Spirit Business Sailing League. Three races were completed in a gusty northerly, before all teams enjoyed a beer or a glass of wine at the Foxglove and relived the evening's racing highlights.
Wellington Spirit sailor Josh Junior has won the 2014 New Zealand National finn championships with a race to spare. With five wins from the first five races, backed up wth a 2nd, 7th and a first in the next three races, Junior did not need to sail the last race to get his name on the trophy.
Wellington Spirit sailor Josh Junior has finished second at Sail Auckland. There was a compelling finish in the Finn class with two-time Olympian in the Laser Andrew Murdoch going into the final day three points adrift of Josh facing an uphill battle for victory. But after a win in the penultimate race and Josh finishing 3rd it all came down to the final race, which went the way of Murdoch who is the overall winner by just one point.
- Catalyst take out pre Xmas Spirit League & entries open for summer Spirit League
- Wellington Spirit Sailing League - Week four Xmas 2013
- Wellington Spirit Sailing League - Week three Xmas 2013
- Wellington Spirit Sailing League - Week two Xmas 2013
- Wellington Spirit Sailing League - Week one Xmas 2013
- Join in the fun of the Wellington Spirit Sailing League
- Wellington Spirit sailor Josh Junior wins Santander ISAF test event
- Matt Steven finishes in 2nd place with FMJ racing at Youth America's Cup
- Wellington Spirit sailor Josh Junior finishes 2013 Finn Gold Cup in 9th Place
- Wellington Spirit at Youth Americas Cup - Matt Steven gets ready to race with FMJ Racing
- Wellington Spirit at Finn Gold Cup - Josh Junior in 15th after two days at World Champs
- Wellington Spirit in fourth place on Grand Slam rankings after Detroit Cup
- Wellington Spirit at Detroit leg of the USA Grand Slam Tour
- Wellington Spirit on the Podium in Chicago
- Wellington Spirit at Chicago leg of USA Grand Slam Tour
- Wellington Spirit at Finn Gold Cup - Josh Junior fits in a bit of Opera ahead of the main event
- Wellington Spirit at Youth America's Cup - Matt Steven and FMJ racing get down to business
- Wellington Spirit at Chicago Match Race Cup - the team settles into venue
- Wellington Spirit at European Finn Champs - Josh Junior finishes in fifth overall
- Wellington Spirit at European Finn Champs - Josh Junior in 3rd overall with one day before finals
- Wellington Spirit at European Finn Champs - Josh Junior in 4th overall after day two
- Matthew Steven ready to depart for Youth Americas Cup
- Wellington Spirit at European Finn Champs - a win on day one
- All in a day's work at the Eurpoean Finn Champs
- Wellington Spirit launches 2013-2014 competition plan
- Wellington Spirit match racing skipper starts internship in Chicago
- Look who is the poster boy for the Red Bull Youth America's Cup
- Wellington Spirit starts training for USA Grand Slam Match Racing Tour
- Josh Junior wins bronze medal at Sailing World Cup
- Wellington Spirit sailors on the move to next events
- Matt Steven at ACT 2 of 2013 Extreme Sailing Series in Singapore
- Josh Junior at the Princess Sofia World Cup of Sailing regatta
- Bexhill come out on top of Wellington Spirit Business Sailing League
- Wellington Spirit Sailing League week four, day two
- Wellington Spirit Sailing League week four, day one
- Fantastic Video of Wellington Spirit Sailing League Action
- Wellington Spirit Sailing League week three, day two
- Wellington Spirit Sailing League week three, day one
- Wellington Spirit Sailing League week two, day two
- Wellington Spirit Sailing League week two, day one