There has been some fantastic action out on the water over the last few weeks and there is plenty more to come. It was great to see two WOS boats in last Fridays Rum Race, there is only one more of these races scheduled for the season and it would be great to see that repeated this Friday.
It's now only a little over a month until Wellington Ocean Sports first Boatmaster course of the year commences. Boatmaster is a comprehensive theory only course covering all the esentials you need including - safety, equipment, weather, rules of the road and navigation.
What a fantastic summer it has been!!! The perfect weather we experienced in January has led into one of the busiest two months we have ever had at Wellington Ocean Sports. It is also timely that we have started the total renewal of all our sails, wet weather gear and an upgrade of the boats.
Over the last 3 days 100 students from Porirua College have undertaken the Wellington Ocean Sports Safe Boating Programme. After receiving a 45 minute classroom based safe boating presentation the students then complete a 90 minute water based session in either sailing, kayaking windsurfing or stand up paddle boarding.
Friday morning Dec 5th saw Cruising Skipper 43 meet at the Interislander terminal at 7.30 am or shortly thereafter with boxes of food, some bags of gear and wet weather gear that surely wouldn’t be needed for 3 sunny days in the Marlborough Sounds. On arrival at Picton, Compass Charters picked us up after collecting our bags and then a quick trip around to Waikawa for the formal paperwork for the Charter.
Over the next two weeks at least 300 school children will be undertaking the Wellington Ocean Sports safe boating programme. Recreational boating is the number one cause of drowning in New Zealand and Wellington Ocean Sports are leading the charge to address this. Although swimming is quite rightly a high priority when considering the drowning statistics, most children will make it through the education system without receiving any safe boating education.
This week we have had over 60 school children out on the water from St Marks Church School and Kelburn Normal Primary School. Both groups undertook a variety of ocean sports, with St Marks here on Monday and Kelburn on Tuesday. 39 Students from St Marks undertook 3 introductory ocean sports sessions each on Monday, although the conditions were a little overcast all sessions were able to proceed with the students making the most of their time.
Things are really ramping up at Wellington Ocean Sports as we edge closer to summer. Wellington had more sunshine hours than any other city in New Zealand last month and on the water was the place to be!!! Bookings are up across all the courses we offer and places are filling faster than ever due to fewer boats being available. This has meant some groups aren’t able to sail when they want to, but we are working hard at our scheduling to ensure as many people as possible are able to get out on the water and experience all the harbour has to offer.
The weather has finally come right on the second week of the Wellington Ocean Sports school holiday programme. Today the children are off to Sommes Island on a sailing adventure. The children have been able to participate in a kayaking, sailing, stand up paddleboard and some classroom activities thanks to some marginal weather earlier in the week.
The first week of the Wellington Ocean Sports school holiday programme has been greeted by fantastic weather. The children have been able to participate in a kayaking, sailing, stand up paddleboard and windsurfing in summer like conditions. There are still a few places available for the second week of the programme beginning 6 October.
- Places available on cruising courses this weekend
- First week of holiday programme sold out
- At Risk Youth hit the water at Wellington Ocean Sports
- Advanced Sea Survival Course 18 Completed
- Next learn to sail course commences Tuesday 21 October
- Wellington Ocean Sports Spring Update
- Holiday Programme Places Available
- Friday Night With PJ huge success
- Winter Series success for Wellington Ocean Sports crew
- Corporate Sailing and Team Building
- Wellington Ocean Sports Winter Update
- Holiday Programme available for booking
- MRX fleet leaving Wellington Ocean Sports
- Wellington Ocean Sports Centre feasibility study published
- Wellington Ocean Sports reaches 400 mark
- Coastguard Boating Education courses available for booking
- Great night for Wellington Ocean Sports Grads
- Recognition for Wellington Ocean Sports Programme
- WOS Winter Update
- Winter Racing
- Learn to sail course places available
- Sir Peter Blake Trust attend Wellington Ocean Sports Centre
- Wellington Ocean Sports to host YNZ Keelboat Coach Course
- Next Boatmaster course scheduled for June
- Want some child free time over the school holidays??
- School Water Safety Programme Bookings Being Taken
- Day Skipper Course Announced
- Windsurfing Lessons All Go!!
- Cruising Skipper visited by Dolphins & Orca
- Holiday Adventures at Wellington Ocean Sports
- Get out on the Harbour this weekend
- What's on at Wellington Ocean Sports in 2014?
- Holiday Programme Places Still Available
- SUP Boot Camp is here
- Wellington Slalom Plus Windsurfing 2013
- Wellington Ocean Sports to host Waka Ama safety road show
- Wellington Ocean Sports secures drowning prevention funding
- Glorious day for 2013 Business Yacht Race
- Make the most of this magnificent weather
- D'Urville Island Trip a success