The Wellington Slalom Plus Windsurfing event was held at Eastborne over the weekend of 30 November and 1 December. 55 knots of wind, 26 windsurfers, 2 days of racing - sounds like party time! With several of New Zealands top racing windsurfers coming to Wellington to test themselves and their new equipment the capital had to deliver, and it didn’t disappoint.
On Thursday 19 December Wellington Ocean Sports Will host the “Flip And Float Waka Ama Safety Road Show”. The road show targets primary, intermediate and secondary school children and covers basic Waka Ama safety skills, capsize drill, maritime rules and use of safety equipment.
The Wellington Ocean Sports Centre has secured drowning prevention funding through Water Safety New Zealand to deliver safe boating education to at least 1500 school children over the next year. The funding will be used to deliver a schools water safety programme that focuses on recreational boating including, sailing, waka ama, windsurfing, kayaking and stand up paddle boarding.
Ideal conditions greeted participants in the 2013 Business Yacht Race on Friday afternoon. 13 boats crewed by over 100 people including corporate guests, skippers and crew competed in the race that got underway from 3.30pm in a pursuit style start. This year’s course saw the boats sail from Club, around Sommes Island, up to Falcon Shoal and back to the Club.
What an amazing few days we have had weather wise. Wellington is really showing us why it is the best place in the world to live. The forecast for the weekend is for these magnificent cloudless days with a beautiful sailing breeze to continue. I'm predicting this weather is going to continue and we are in for a stunning summer.
Wellington Ocean Sports ran a cruise from Waikawa to D'Urville Island and return last weekend and the reports of it's success have been flooding in. See below a report from David Clegg, one of the lucky ones that got to spend four days cruising the Sounds.
Wellington Ocean Sports will be running a Coastguard Medic Course over the weekend of 16 and 17 November and there are still several places avaialble for booking. As well as its marine applications, this course exceeds the Health and Safety requirements of “two day workplace first aid”, so has many commercial usages.
The inaugural grads prize for the spring series sponsored by Helen Mc Naught has been won by the crew of MRX Spirit Red. The crew including graduates James Snowden, Shelen Parone, Rich Frazer, Helen Mc Naught and Wellington Ocean Sports instructor Matt Clough actually finished tied with Wellington Spirit Bronze, but were awarded the prize on count back.
Week one of the Wellington Ocean Sports school holiday programme has been a great success with plenty of water based adventure. Instructor Holly Novis has taken the group of 6 children through a variety of ocean sports including sailing, kayaking and stand up paddle boarding.
Wellington Ocean Sports graduate Helen Mc Naught has kindly offered to sponsor a prize for the first grads boat in the upcoming spring race series, and even better the prize is Champagne!! This is a great incentive for all Wellington Ocean Sports grads to get involved in racing at the Club, now with the prospect of a prize especially for you.
- Coastal Medic Course Announced
- Advanced Sea Survival Course Completed
- Spring Racing Not Far Away!!!
- Coastal Skipper Course Commences Monday
- Expressions of Interest Sought
- Cruising Crew Commences This Saturday
- Wellington Ocean Sports Crew "Takes Over"
- MRX Sprint Sailing Series
- First Aid Course Announced
- Wellington Ocean Sports feature on All Sports Breakfast show
- What's coming up at Wellington Ocean Sports
- Improve those Racing Skills
- Coastal Skipper bookings being taken now
- VHF Radio Operators Course available for booking
- Winter Cruising & Racing
- Wellington Ocean Sports Instructors off for winter adventure
- Boatmaster course starts July
- Boating Education courses at Wellington Ocean Sports
- What's on at Wellington Ocean Sports
- Wellington Windsurfing Association event a success
- Group and Business Sailing Opportunities available at Wellington Ocean Sports
- Wellington Ocean Sports becomes Surfing New Zealand approved SUP school
- SUP up and away!!!
- WOW it's busy at Wellington Ocean Sports
- Wellington Ocean Sports School Programme
- Wellington Ocean Sports on Campbell Live
- Orca visit Oriental Bay
- Clyde Quay Marina gets a visit by a BIG stingray!
- Eleven more Wellington Ocean Sports students qualify as Cruising Skippers
- Boatmaster Course for the Defence Force
- Inaugural Waka Ama Business by the Beach a success
- Wellington Ocean Sports graduate Brian Sharpe charters a yacht in Tahiti
- Wellington Ocean Sports Instructor walks the talk at national championships
- Ocean Sports Schools Holiday programme a great success
- Join Port Nic Paddlers Here!!!
- Jo Aleh and Polly Powrie a hit at open day
- Nearly 200 School Children in 3 days
- Coastal Skipper course a success
- Surfing New Zealand SUP Instructors Course Completed
- Another Advanced Sea Survival Course Completed