Over the last 3 weeks 14 students from Porirua College have been undertaking our Coastguard Day Skipper course as part of our ‘Schools Safe Boating Programme’ taught by Wellington Ocean Sports instructor John Schuyt. Day Skipper is a 15 hour theory course applicable to all forms of boating. The course educates the students on all the essential boating knowledge and safety skills. Covering many important topics including parts of the boat, navigation, rules and regulations, emergency procedures and knots. Those who successfully complete the course with obtain Coastguard Day Skipper certification and six, level 2 NCEA credits.
Racing is the best way to improve your sailing skills. Whether or not you are competitive or into sailing around the buoys, there is nothing like actually having to get the boat to a fixed point as a group to develop your skills. Winter is also one of the best times for racing as the Winter Series see’s some of the biggest fleet sizes of the year and as racing is held fortnightly it doesn’t take up all your spare time. Read on!!
Wellington Ocean Sports recently hosted the ‘International Surfing Association Flat Water SUP Instructor course’ which three of our instructors completed.The course was an incredibly valuable, thorough course where instructor Bill Dawes took Wellington Ocean Sports instructors Holly Novis, Sam Price and Frankie Kebbell through venue safety analysis, paddle techniques, fault correction, beginner, intermediate and also more advanced lesson styles and skills.
A new Coastguard Coastal Medic Course has been announced for the weekend of 29 and 30 August 2015. Coastal Medic is a prerequisite to the more advance Offshore Medic. As well as its marine applications, this course exceeds the Health and Safety requirements of “two day workplace first aid”, so has many commercial usages.
We are now less than a week away from the very popular Coastguard Boating Education course “Day Skipper” commencing at Wellington Ocean Sports. Day Skipper is a 15 hour theory only course that is applicable to all water users. No experience is necessary to attend the course, but it is also ideal for those with boating experience who have never undertaken formal boating education.
Did you know that unless it as an emergency, it is a legal requirement to have a Radio Operators Qualification before operating a marine VHF radio? If you need to get the qualification then we have the course for you! Our first VHF course for the year is running over the evenings of 8 and 10 June and is now available for booking.
There has been some fantastic action out on the water over the last few weeks and there is plenty more to come. It was great to see two WOS boats in last Fridays Rum Race, there is only one more of these races scheduled for the season and it would be great to see that repeated this Friday.
It's now only a little over a month until Wellington Ocean Sports first Boatmaster course of the year commences. Boatmaster is a comprehensive theory only course covering all the esentials you need including - safety, equipment, weather, rules of the road and navigation.
What a fantastic summer it has been!!! The perfect weather we experienced in January has led into one of the busiest two months we have ever had at Wellington Ocean Sports. It is also timely that we have started the total renewal of all our sails, wet weather gear and an upgrade of the boats.
Over the last 3 days 100 students from Porirua College have undertaken the Wellington Ocean Sports Safe Boating Programme. After receiving a 45 minute classroom based safe boating presentation the students then complete a 90 minute water based session in either sailing, kayaking windsurfing or stand up paddle boarding.
- Cruising Skipper 43 Great Success
- Schools Safe Boating Education Programme Underway
- School groups get best of the weather
- Wellington Ocean Sports November Update
- Weather comes right on second week of holiday programme
- Stunning weather for first week of holiday programme
- Places available on cruising courses this weekend
- First week of holiday programme sold out
- At Risk Youth hit the water at Wellington Ocean Sports
- Advanced Sea Survival Course 18 Completed
- Next learn to sail course commences Tuesday 21 October
- Wellington Ocean Sports Spring Update
- Holiday Programme Places Available
- Friday Night With PJ huge success
- Winter Series success for Wellington Ocean Sports crew
- Corporate Sailing and Team Building
- Wellington Ocean Sports Winter Update
- Holiday Programme available for booking
- MRX fleet leaving Wellington Ocean Sports
- Wellington Ocean Sports Centre feasibility study published
- Wellington Ocean Sports reaches 400 mark
- Coastguard Boating Education courses available for booking
- Great night for Wellington Ocean Sports Grads
- Recognition for Wellington Ocean Sports Programme
- WOS Winter Update
- Winter Racing
- Learn to sail course places available
- Sir Peter Blake Trust attend Wellington Ocean Sports Centre
- Wellington Ocean Sports to host YNZ Keelboat Coach Course
- Next Boatmaster course scheduled for June
- Want some child free time over the school holidays??
- School Water Safety Programme Bookings Being Taken
- Day Skipper Course Announced
- Windsurfing Lessons All Go!!
- Cruising Skipper visited by Dolphins & Orca
- Holiday Adventures at Wellington Ocean Sports
- Get out on the Harbour this weekend
- What's on at Wellington Ocean Sports in 2014?
- Holiday Programme Places Still Available
- SUP Boot Camp is here