With a weather pattern that made sailors feel like they were actors in the movie of the same name, the third weekend of the 2014 RPNYC Moore Wilson’s Winter Series turned out to be a “mix, stir and repeat” of the conditions experienced in the series so far.
Well – you just cant beat Wellington on a good day – and the second race weekend of the 2014 RPNYC Moore Wilson’s Winter Series proved that by turning on 2 extremely different sets of conditions last Saturday and Sunday!
Each week the sailing committee updates this article, usually on a Thursday.
The RPNYC Moore Wilson’s Winter Series burst into life with a stunning weekends sailing experienced by all those who took to the waters of Wellington harbour for the first of five action-packed race weekends. Regatta Director Paul Davies takes up the story:
“I am totally blown away by the number of entries we have received for the series this year. 50 boats is just sensational and a testament to the state of keelboat racing in Wellington.”
The 2014 Moore Wilson’s Winter Series will kick off on the weekend of the 14-15th June and the regatta organisers have got more of the same – and a little something fresh to keep all winter sailors on the water from June to August 2014.
Hey RPNYC race fans – if you didn’t already have a favourite yacht to support in the upcoming 22nd RAYC Auckland to Fiji race well the Ker 40, Midnight Rambler might be just your answer. Crew including our very own Tim Hampton, Ken Ormandy, Max Hawkes and Chris Rockwell hailing from a range of Wellington boats past and present including Andiamo, Gucci, The Guarantee and Flying Circus are coming through a campaign that sees them finishing 2nd in the tough IRC division in the Gosford to Lord Howe Island race in early May. A mere 1,100nm cruise further on and the team arrive in sunny Auckland.
Following the success of the 2-handed Central Triangle Race, the Royal Port Nicholson Yacht Club is seeking registrations of interest in a Fully crewed Central Triangle race March 2015 following the Port Nicholson Regatta in Wellington.
The autumn series just ended was a mixed bag of fortunes. The typically up and down weather of late March - early April played havoc with many. Dave (Airship) lost his mast. Illusions ripped a jib. Terry (Rocket Science) displayed its bottom for an indecent period. Wai-Aniwa blew a kite. Revs damaged another, and White Cavalier was driven to sailing a good part of one race under jib alone.
But that's sailing! See who won the silverware here
- Crews race – what cyclone?
- Bay of Many Coves race turns into a drifter
- Island Bay race a ripper
- Blink is the fastest boat around the North Island
- Bacchante and Black Diamond crowned National PHRF champions
- A lot of breeze on day two of the Line 7 Marine Port Nicholson Regatta
- Four races down on race day one in the Line 7 Marine Port Nicholson Regatta
- The 2014 Line 7 Marine Port Nicholson Regatta is underway
- Sign up for your RPNYC Glengarry Club Card and go into the prize draw
- Blink blitzes fleet into Napier to win leg three of the RNI2014 Race
- Two Handed Round North Island Race
- Annual Nelson Extravanganza
- Last chance for early entry fees
- An awfully big adventure - 35 days on a small boat
- Countdown is on – just 22 days to go until Line 7 Marine Port Nicholson Regatta 2014!
- Online entries being taken for the Line 7 Marine Port Nicholson Regatta 2014
- Line 7 Marine Port Nicholson Regatta 2014 NOR
- Christmas Series ends on both a low and high note!
- 2014 Line 7 Marine Port Nicholson Regatta - November update
- Something new for the Cook Strait Classic this year
- Line 7 Marine and Royal Port Nicholson Yacht Club celebrate a new partnership
- Champagne Sailing in the 2013 Brothers Race
- Spring Series winners decided
- We are open for the 131st season
- The 2014 Port Nicholson Regatta dates are set
- The 2013 Moore Wilson’s Winter Series – “And that Ladies and Gentleman… is a wrap!”
- One new and one old yacht arrive in Wellington
- Fully Crewed Racing - August 11th – “Another Day in the Office”
- Two Handed Race 3 – “Anyone can win this bad boy!”
- Two Handed Race 2 – “What could possibly go wrong?”
- Phillipa Durkin the weekend warrior
- The 2013 Moore Wilson’s Winter Series – "The weekend that delivered!"
- Fully Crewed Race Day 2 – “What a STUNNER!”
- Fully Crewed Race Day 1 – “It must be the Winter Series”
- The 130th RPNYC prizegiving in photos
- Lizzie is Boat of the Year
- Gucci is Cruising Boat of the Year
- Jim Gordon is Volunteer of the Year
- Mark Waters is Personality of the Year
- Cantilena takes out 2013 Commodore's Trophy