Each week the sailing committee updates this article, usually on a Thursday.
The autumn series just ended was a mixed bag of fortunes. The typically up and down weather of late March - early April played havoc with many. Dave (Airship) lost his mast. Illusions ripped a jib. Terry (Rocket Science) displayed its bottom for an indecent period. Wai-Aniwa blew a kite. Revs damaged another, and White Cavalier was driven to sailing a good part of one race under jib alone.
But that's sailing! See who won the silverware here
Those who took the chance earned a fantastic day out, however, with a gentle south-easterly turning more easterly and virtually flat conditions on the harbour.
There were five boats in the race: The Guarantee, Gucci, Wai-Aniwa, Am Meer, and Illusions. Some of the big girls and boys were either still out of town from the RNI or couldn’t get enough crew.
The Island Bay race was a ripper with a "gentle" southerly that dropped from 25 to around 8 knots over the day providing tight reaching conditions along the south coast and a great kite run to Number 11 at Korokoro. Swells up to three metres at the entrance combined with an in-coming ferry and out-going tanker just added a little spice to what proved an excellent day for the fleet.
After two weeks of racing around the North Island against 22 other yachts Tony Wells and Rob Shaw have sailed Blink to overall line honours in the Round North Island two handed race. Congratulations Tony on a fantatstic campaign and a great result.
After three days of racing in the Line 7 Marine Port Nicholson Regatta Brian Cowper and his crew on Bacchante were crowned the winners of the Ross Telford Memorial Trophy along with winners of the National PHRF Div B Championships title while Jamie McDowell and his crew on Black Diamond took out the National PHRF Div A Championships title.
Day two dawned with a less than inviting forecast of northerlies rising to 35-40 knots. The weather on the harbour was slightly less than the forecast so John and Lind Parrish and the race committee team headed out to the race track to see if anything could be achieved.
ARE YOU READY?
Here is just a quick update of what’s coming up
- Sign up for your RPNYC Glengarry Club Card and go into the prize draw
- Blink blitzes fleet into Napier to win leg three of the RNI2014 Race
- Two Handed Round North Island Race
- Annual Nelson Extravanganza
- Last chance for early entry fees
- An awfully big adventure - 35 days on a small boat
- Countdown is on – just 22 days to go until Line 7 Marine Port Nicholson Regatta 2014!
- Online entries being taken for the Line 7 Marine Port Nicholson Regatta 2014
- Line 7 Marine Port Nicholson Regatta 2014 NOR
- Christmas Series ends on both a low and high note!
- 2014 Line 7 Marine Port Nicholson Regatta - November update
- Something new for the Cook Strait Classic this year
- Line 7 Marine and Royal Port Nicholson Yacht Club celebrate a new partnership
- Champagne Sailing in the 2013 Brothers Race
- Spring Series winners decided
- We are open for the 131st season
- The 2014 Port Nicholson Regatta dates are set
- The 2013 Moore Wilson’s Winter Series – “And that Ladies and Gentleman… is a wrap!”
- One new and one old yacht arrive in Wellington
- Fully Crewed Racing - August 11th – “Another Day in the Office”
- Two Handed Race 3 – “Anyone can win this bad boy!”
- Two Handed Race 2 – “What could possibly go wrong?”
- Phillipa Durkin the weekend warrior
- The 2013 Moore Wilson’s Winter Series – "The weekend that delivered!"
- Fully Crewed Race Day 2 – “What a STUNNER!”
- Fully Crewed Race Day 1 – “It must be the Winter Series”
- The 130th RPNYC prizegiving in photos
- Lizzie is Boat of the Year
- Gucci is Cruising Boat of the Year
- Jim Gordon is Volunteer of the Year
- Mark Waters is Personality of the Year
- Cantilena takes out 2013 Commodore's Trophy
- Thank you to RPNYC fleet for their support of the Hebtro Trophy day
- Vice Commodore Davies wins Div 3 at the New Zealand Trailer Yacht Nationals
- The brothers race from onboard Nedax Racing
- And the winners are ....
- Leg three results for the Central Triangle Race
- Smooth and fast rides in the Brothers Race
- All boats have finished in the 2013 Central Triangle Race
- Boat Reports and Position Updates from the Central Triangle Race