Each week the sailing committee updates this article, usually on a Thursday.
The Island Bay race was a ripper with a "gentle" southerly that dropped from 25 to around 8 knots over the day providing tight reaching conditions along the south coast and a great kite run to Number 11 at Korokoro. Swells up to three metres at the entrance combined with an in-coming ferry and out-going tanker just added a little spice to what proved an excellent day for the fleet.
With a pretty ominous forecast and few cracks of thunder it was touch and go whether racing would go ahead for Group One of the Wellingon Spirit Sailing League. However the wind died down and the thunder ceased allowing the teams to hit the water. Unfortunately Bexhill were unable to attend which meant it was going to be a match race between Catalyst and CentrePort.
Not a Breath of wind is what greeted the Spirit League sailors on Week two. However after waiting for a bit a few zephyrs of wind fluttered their way down the eastern side of the harbour. This was just enough to get a single race away. It was decided turning corners would be too slow so the course was to be a single leg race to the lighthouse.
After two weeks of racing around the North Island against 22 other yachts Tony Wells and Rob Shaw have sailed Blink to overall line honours in the Round North Island two handed race. Congratulations Tony on a fantatstic campaign and a great result.
We are pleased to announce that the very popular Coastguard Boating Education course “Day Skipper” is again being offered at Wellington Ocean Sports. Day Skipper is a 15 hour theory only course that is applicable to all water users. No experience is necessary to attend the course, but it is also ideal for those with boating experience who have never undertaken formal boating education.
After three days of racing in the Line 7 Marine Port Nicholson Regatta Brian Cowper and his crew on Bacchante were crowned the winners of the Ross Telford Memorial Trophy along with winners of the National PHRF Div B Championships title while Jamie McDowell and his crew on Black Diamond took out the National PHRF Div A Championships title.
Adam Middleton, Michael Cook and William Eastman sailing for Royal Port Nicholson Yacht Club have convincing won the 2014 CentrePort International Youth Match Racing Championships. Over four days of racing the team dropped only one match in a dominant all round performance across a range of conditions.
Day two dawned with a less than inviting forecast of northerlies rising to 35-40 knots. The weather on the harbour was slightly less than the forecast so John and Lind Parrish and the race committee team headed out to the race track to see if anything could be achieved.
- A long day on the water at the CentrePort Youth Match Racing Champs on day two
- Four races down on race day one in the Line 7 Marine Port Nicholson Regatta
- Fog lifts for a solid ten flights on day one of the CentrePort Youth Match Racing Champs
- 2014 CentrePort International Youth Match Racing Event underway
- Group two, Day one of the 2014 Wellington Spirit Sailing League
- The 2014 Line 7 Marine Port Nicholson Regatta is underway
- Sign up for your RPNYC Glengarry Club Card and go into the prize draw
- RPNYC 1st and 4th at the Nespresso Youth International Championship
- Blink blitzes fleet into Napier to win leg three of the RNI2014 Race
- Mount Gay and Glengarry's form partnership with RPNYC
- Group one, Day one of the 2014 Wellington Spirit Sailing League
- Windsurfing Lessons All Go!!
- Wellington Spirit sailor Josh Junior wins Finn nationals with race to spare
- Two Handed Round North Island Race
- Annual Nelson Extravanganza
- Wellington Spirit sailor Josh Junior has tight battle at Sail Auckland regatta
- Last chance for early entry fees
- An awfully big adventure - 35 days on a small boat
- Countdown is on – just 22 days to go until Line 7 Marine Port Nicholson Regatta 2014!
- Tough start in Perth
- Youth Scheme ready for a busy 4 weeks
- Cruising Skipper visited by Dolphins & Orca
- Holiday Adventures at Wellington Ocean Sports
- Get out on the Harbour this weekend
- Catalyst take out pre Xmas Spirit League & entries open for summer Spirit League
- What's on at Wellington Ocean Sports in 2014?
- Online entries being taken for the Line 7 Marine Port Nicholson Regatta 2014
- MRX Sprint Sailing Series - Summer dates announced
- Holiday Programme Places Still Available
- SUP Boot Camp is here
- Line 7 Marine Port Nicholson Regatta 2014 NOR
- Christmas Series ends on both a low and high note!
- Wellington Spirit Sailing League - Week four Xmas 2013
- Clyde Quay Marina investigations on track
- Wellington Slalom Plus Windsurfing 2013
- Wellington Ocean Sports to host Waka Ama safety road show
- Wellington well represented at Yachting New Zealand Excellence awards
- Wellington Ocean Sports secures drowning prevention funding
- Wellington Spirit Sailing League - Week three Xmas 2013
- 2014 Line 7 Marine Port Nicholson Regatta - November update