A Notice to Competitors has been posted
Looking for that gift for the person who has everything?? Looking for some great stocking fillers??? Want a Christmas present the whole family can enjoy?? Well Wellington Ocean Sports has just the thing for you. We will sell a voucher for every course we offer or for any value. Whether it’s a 1 hour stand up paddle board lesson for $30, a 1 hour Kayak hire for $15, a 90 minute Harbour Sail for $40 or a family group sailing session we have the voucher for you.
Friday morning Dec 5th saw Cruising Skipper 43 meet at the Interislander terminal at 7.30 am or shortly thereafter with boxes of food, some bags of gear and wet weather gear that surely wouldn’t be needed for 3 sunny days in the Marlborough Sounds. On arrival at Picton, Compass Charters picked us up after collecting our bags and then a quick trip around to Waikawa for the formal paperwork for the Charter.
Wellington Ocean Sports will be running an Advanced Sea Survival Course over the weekend of Saturday 10 and Sunday 11 January 2015. Advanced Sea Survival is a comprehensive theoretical and practical course required by crew competing in Category 1 offshore races. The course is ISAF and Yachting New Zealand approved and held over one weekend.
It’s that time of year to start getting sorted for that Christmas feast and we all know that Ham is an essential part of any good feast. This year the young sailors in the Wellington Youth Sailing Scheme are again selling Christmas Hams to assist their fundraising drive for coaching.
A new Coastguard Coastal Medic Course has been announced for the weekend of 10 and 11 January 2015. This course has been specifically scheduled prior to the Offshore Medic Course for those that are yet to complete Coastal Medic, which is a prerequisite to the more advanced course. As well as its marine applications, this course exceeds the Health and Safety requirements of “two day workplace first aid”, so has many commercial usages.
The forecast was daunting. Northerly 10 gradually rising to 25 in the morning and 40 by the evening. We all know you can add 20 more when travelling along the South Coast. 60kn on the way home? That would be interesting.
Over the next two weeks at least 300 school children will be undertaking the Wellington Ocean Sports safe boating programme. Recreational boating is the number one cause of drowning in New Zealand and Wellington Ocean Sports are leading the charge to address this. Although swimming is quite rightly a high priority when considering the drowning statistics, most children will make it through the education system without receiving any safe boating education.
They Youth scheme has recently been represented at the Harken Youth International at the Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club and the Musto Youth International at the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia, both in Sydney.
Wellington Ocean Sports will be running it's first ever Offshore Medic Course on 12 and 13 January 2015. Offshore Medic is an advanced course for offshore skippers and crew. It's unlikely this course will be run in Wellington again anytime soon, so do consider adjusting your summer break to ensure you can make it along. The course details the management of medical/trauma emergencies onboard for up to five days without medical assistance.
Representing RPNYC this year at the Harken youth International Match Racing Championships is Sam Mackay, Ben Caundle, Kate Johnson-Lee, Stuart Williams and Will Eastman. After three days of racing they have won their quarterfinal to make the top four where they will race in the semi finals.
- Port Nic Regatta Update 1
- School groups get best of the weather
- 2014 WineWorks Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc Yacht Race
- The Not Quite Island Bay Race
- Match racing Classics style
- Roger Land Trophy for Port Nic Regatta
- Wellington Ocean Sports November Update
- Additional Coastal Medic course announced
- High Tea with Shirley Martin
- Weather comes right on second week of holiday programme
- Book your end of year function at Wellington Ocean Sports
- RPNYC dominate NZ Youth Match Racing National Championships
- Offshore Medic course announced
- Finalists decided on day 3 of the 2014 NZ Youth Match Racing Nationals
- High Tea with Shirley Martin CBE
- Stunning weather for first week of holiday programme
- Places available on cruising courses this weekend
- First week of holiday programme sold out
- At Risk Youth hit the water at Wellington Ocean Sports
- Winter Match Racing Programme Concludes
- Advanced Sea Survival Course 18 Completed
- Next learn to sail course commences Tuesday 21 October
- Working Bee Thanks
- Wellington Ocean Sports Spring Update
- Wine Race 2014
- Opening of our 132nd Season and 2014 Ambassadors’ Race
- Holiday Programme Places Available
- Enter The Youth Scheme Quiz Night
- Notice of Race published
- It's confirmed! The PHRF Nationals are coming...
- Friday Night With PJ huge success
- Winter Series success for Wellington Ocean Sports crew
- Corporate Sailing and Team Building
- Waterfront venues available for hire
- The 2014 RPNYC Moore Wilson’s Winter Series – I’ll huff and I’ll puff… maybe
- Entries open for 2015 Crewed Central Triangle
- Wellington Ocean Sports Winter Update
- Youth Scheme fall short of Semi Finals
- Holiday Programme available for booking
- Update from RPNYC at Governor's Cup