Over the last 3 weeks 14 students from Porirua College have been undertaking our Coastguard Day Skipper course as part of our ‘Schools Safe Boating Programme’ taught by Wellington Ocean Sports instructor John Schuyt. Day Skipper is a 15 hour theory course applicable to all forms of boating. The course educates the students on all the essential boating knowledge and safety skills. Covering many important topics including parts of the boat, navigation, rules and regulations, emergency procedures and knots. Those who successfully complete the course with obtain Coastguard Day Skipper certification and six, level 2 NCEA credits.
Racing is the best way to improve your sailing skills. Whether or not you are competitive or into sailing around the buoys, there is nothing like actually having to get the boat to a fixed point as a group to develop your skills. Winter is also one of the best times for racing as the Winter Series see’s some of the biggest fleet sizes of the year and as racing is held fortnightly it doesn’t take up all your spare time. Read on!!
Wellington Ocean Sports recently hosted the ‘International Surfing Association Flat Water SUP Instructor course’ which three of our instructors completed.The course was an incredibly valuable, thorough course where instructor Bill Dawes took Wellington Ocean Sports instructors Holly Novis, Sam Price and Frankie Kebbell through venue safety analysis, paddle techniques, fault correction, beginner, intermediate and also more advanced lesson styles and skills.
A new Coastguard Coastal Medic Course has been announced for the weekend of 29 and 30 August 2015. Coastal Medic is a prerequisite to the more advance Offshore Medic. As well as its marine applications, this course exceeds the Health and Safety requirements of “two day workplace first aid”, so has many commercial usages.
We are now less than a week away from the very popular Coastguard Boating Education course “Day Skipper” commencing at Wellington Ocean Sports. Day Skipper is a 15 hour theory only course that is applicable to all water users. No experience is necessary to attend the course, but it is also ideal for those with boating experience who have never undertaken formal boating education.
Did you know that unless it as an emergency, it is a legal requirement to have a Radio Operators Qualification before operating a marine VHF radio? If you need to get the qualification then we have the course for you! Our first VHF course for the year is running over the evenings of 8 and 10 June and is now available for booking.
There has been some fantastic action out on the water over the last few weeks and there is plenty more to come. It was great to see two WOS boats in last Fridays Rum Race, there is only one more of these races scheduled for the season and it would be great to see that repeated this Friday.
- Leg 3 - Napier to Wellington, 0703 Monday Sched
- Leg 3 - Napier to Wellington, 1903 Sunday Sched
- Leg Three Finish
- Leg 3 - Napier to Wellington, 0703 Sunday Sched
- Leg 3 - Napier to Wellington, 1933 Saturday Sched
- Start of Leg Three
- Leg 2 - Akaroa to Napier, 1933 Thursday
- Boatmaster set to proceed in April
- Leg 2 - Akaroa to Napier, 0733 Thursday
- Leg 2 - Akaroa to Napier, 1933 Wednesday sched
- Leg 2 - Akaroa to Napier, 0733 Wednesday sched
- Leg 2 - Akaroa to Napier, 1933 Tuesday sched
- Leg 2 - Akaroa to Napier, 0733 Tuesday sched
- Leg 2 - Akaroa to Napier, 1933 Monday sched
- Leg 1 - Wellington to Akaroa, 0703 Sunday sked
- Leg 1 - Wellington to Akaroa, 0703 Saturday sked
- When it's too windy for rum racing
- Leg One Gallery
- Leg Two Gallery
- Leg Three Gallery
- Leg 1 - Wellington to Akaroa, 1903 Friday sked
- And they're off!
- Countdown on for start of Fully Crewed Central Triangle
- CYCA Dominate CentrePort International Youth Match Racing Championships
- Wellington Ocean Sports February Update
- 2015 Sovereign Port Nic Regatta Race Day 3
- 2015 Sovereign Port Nic Regatta Race Day 2
- Sovereign Port Nic Regatta Race Day 1
- CentrePort 2015 Day 3
- 100 students from Porirua College undertake Safe Boating Programme
- Port Nic Regatta Update 2
- 2015 Kapiti-Chetwodes Offshore Race
- CentrePort Youth International Match Racing Champs
- Advanced sea survival course
- Sovereign Announced as Naming Sponsor For 2015 Port Nicholson Regatta
- CentrePort Youth Match Racing Championships Set to be a Trans-Tasman affair
- Cruising Skipper 43 Great Success
- Get your Hams - Youth Scheme Fundraiser
- The Brothers Race - rip, shite and a little bust!
- Schools Safe Boating Education Programme Underway