See the awardees here
The Wellington Ocean Sports Centre has secured drowning prevention funding through Water Safety New Zealand to deliver safe boating education to at least 1500 school children over the next year. The funding will be used to deliver a schools water safety programme that focuses on recreational boating including, sailing, waka ama, windsurfing, kayaking and stand up paddle boarding.
“It is 12 years since we reviewed our restaurant offering and with the current lease expiring in March 2014 we are taking the opportunity to review what we offer in this space” explained CEO Dean Stanley.
Find out more here.
Each week the sailing committee updates this article, usually on a Thursday.
A stunning day greeted the teams on day three of the Xmas 2013 Wellington Spirit Sailing League. Catalyst led the charge on the day and the leaderboard has now tightened up going into day four ... the last day of racng before the finals.
Organising is well underway for the 2014 Line 7 Marine Port Nicholson Regatta so book the dates February 21-23 in your calendar now. This year we are expanding into a trailer yacht division so hope to have a number of visiting boats from Napier, New Plymouth and Taupo joining us for some competitive racing on the harbour.
The Royal Port Nicholson Yacht Club is pleased to announce that it is now accepting applications for invitation to the 2014 CentrePort International Youth Match Racing Championships. This will be the 11th edition of this Youth Match Racing Regatta to be held in Wellington, New Zealand with racing taking place right in front of the city.
The Cook Strait Classic to be sailed on 14 December is now open to all yachts and launches! This year, we are running the Cook Strait Classic not only for the Club's Offshore fleet, but also for the Club's inshore fleet and launches. While results will be calculated, the emphasis will be on fun, with a raft up at the other end somewhere off Tory Channel (Ngaruru Bay, Hitaua Bay, etc, as the weather allows). All yachts will be eligible for trophies.
For the inshore fleet, the safety requirements will be less stringent than for the offshore fleet. Essentially, they will be Cat 4 modified (see the attached notice of race). This is not overly onerous and you probably meet it already if you’re thinking about crossing the strait for Christmas/New Years. There will be a staggered start from 11am so that as many boats as possible will hit the rip at slack tide. We would also love to see the launches in the fleet come across.
The Wellington Youth Sailing Scheme Team consisting of Sam Mackay, James de Lisle, William Eastman, Kate Johnson-Lee and Hannah Corke are currently in Sydney competing at the Musto International Youth Match Racing Regatta hosted by Cruising Yacht Club Australia.
During week two of the 2013 pre Xmas Wellington Spirit Sailing League the competition has tightened up with Mediaworks shooting up the leaderboard with three first places to now be tied for the lead with Meridian. There is still plenty of sailing to go so anything could happen from here on in and both Catalyst and Bexhill are still close to the top of the leaderboard.
- Glorious day for 2013 Business Yacht Race
- Get your self a Slave for the Day and help the Youth Scheme raise travel funds
- Christmas Ham for Sale
- Youth Scheme start in Sydney today
- 2013 Youth Scheme Quiz Night a Success
- Make the most of this magnificent weather
- Wellington Spirit Sailing League - Week one Xmas 2013
- D'Urville Island Trip a success
- Line 7 Marine and Royal Port Nicholson Yacht Club celebrate a new partnership
- Champagne Sailing in the 2013 Brothers Race
- Atti hits the water again ... watch out Rona!
- Switzerland takes out the Ambassador's Race
- DigitalNZ puts over 1000 historical RPNYC items online
- Blink Blitzes the Island Bay Race
- HIBS claim Wellington Secondary Schools Title
- Teams announced for November regattas
- Houston we have a problem
- Coastal Medic Course Places Available
- All the fun of the Ball!
- Spring Series winners decided
- Inaugural Grads Prize Awarded
- A collection of photos from the Auckland Weekly news
- Dylan Wichman, Michael Cate and Andrew Clark win Youth Match Racing title
- Holiday adventures continue!!
- NZ Youth Match Racing Notice of Race and Sailing Instructions available
- Welcome to the 2013 NZ Youth Match Racing Champs
- Join in the fun of the Wellington Spirit Sailing League
- Josh Porebski finishes second at World 49er Championships
- Get out your glad rags for the Yacht Club Ball
- We are open for the 131st season
- Team NZ you have done us proud and congratulations Oracle on your victory
- Grads Prize For Spring Series Announced
- Wellington Spirit sailor Josh Junior wins Santander ISAF test event
- Thank you to the worker bees
- Congratulations to Chin Fagan for winning Early Bird Ticket competition
- Coastal Medic Course Announced
- Advanced Sea Survival Course Completed
- Matt Steven finishes in 2nd place with FMJ racing at Youth America's Cup
- Wellington Spirit sailor Josh Junior finishes 2013 Finn Gold Cup in 9th Place
- 131 reasons to attend the Yacht Club Ball